Fascinating facts about water:
- Only 1,1% of the water on earth is suitable for drinking as is.
- Our bodies consist of 55 – 75% water.
- Depression and fatigue can often be symptoms of dehydration.
- It is healthy to drink water with meals, as it aids the process of digestion.
- The best way of getting rid of water retention is to drink a lot of water. Water retention can be a sign of dehydration
- Water allows the body to metabolise fats more efficiently.
- Good water intake prevents the skin from sagging.
- Water is the main food the body needs.
- The thirst reflex only appears when our bodies are already dehydrated.
- Children dehydrate more quickly than adults do, and a survey revealed that 65% of school children drank too little water.
- A 2% reduction of water levels in the body can lead to a 20% decrease in mental and physical performance.
- Dehydration may induce contractions in pregnant women.
Visit Health24's Water Centre for more information about this fascinating and life-sustaining substance.
Image: Water from Shutterstock