Water is a scarce resource in the Cape as rainfall is highly variable from year to year. All of us have a part to play in conserving as much valuable water as possible.
Here are a few tips on how to save water:
- Install a low-flow shower head and tap aerators on all taps.
- Flush toilets only when necessary.
- Install a multi-flush or dual-flush mechanism in the toilet. A multi-flush device allows the user to choose exactly how much water goes to waste when pressing the handle. A dual-flush device has a short flush button for liquids and a longer flush button for solids.
- Plant water-wise indigenous plants.
- Water gardens only in early morning or the evening and only when necessary.
- Install garden drip irrigation on flower beds and sprayers on lawns.
- Collect rainwater for re-using on the garden or washing the car.
- Use a broom instead of a hosepipe when cleaning driveways or patios.
- Insulate hot water pipes so that not too much water is wasted when waiting for water to get hot.
- Cover your swimming pool to reduce water evaporation.
For more tips on how to save water, visit the City's Water Services website.