If you're considering this surgery but aren't sure if it's the right move, the American Obesity Association offers some guidelines. The AOA says you're probably a candidate for the procedure if:
- If you have a body-mass index (BMI) of 40 or higher.
- If you have a BMI between 35 and 39.9 and a medical condition including high blood pressure, high cholesterol, diabetes or other cardiopulmonary disease.
- If you have tried weight loss through diet, exercise, and/or weight-loss drugs and are still obese.
- If your quality of life is suffering due to obesity.
- If you have difficulty completing everyday tasks such as cleaning, working and cooking.
- If you are willing to make needed lifestyle changes after surgery, including diet modification and starting an exercise programme.