Ask an expert

22 Oct 2008

I was on Ritalin in high school and in varsity, and have been working now for about 3 years without Ritalin. I am struggling to remember things, and I want to go back onto Ritalin. However I am not sure where to go for a prescription. Previous I went to an Educational psychiatrist t. Who would I contact, do I need to see a psychiatrist or a gp ? Also, what is the cost of Ritalin now? Previous my dad’ s medical aid paid for it, however now I an only on a hospital plan.
Thank you
Answer 501 views
ADHD Expert

01 Jan 0001

Dear Gill,
Your GP can prescribe Ritalin, and as Bobb has mentioned you will need to obtain a repeat script every month, once your dosage has been established. To my knowledge a hospital plan does not cover any medication not administered under a hospital stay. Ritalin can help to improve memory, in some cases; it is important to remember though that the benefit will only last for as long as the medication is in your system, which is generally shorter than an 8 hour working day. There are therapies out there such as the Dore programme which can improve short term memory permanently without any medications, and therefore without any side effects.
Kind regards.
The information provided does not constitute a diagnosis of your condition. You should consult a medical practitioner or other appropriate health care professional for a physical examination, diagnosis and formal advice. Health24 and the expert accept no responsibility or liability for any damage or personal harm you may suffer resulting from making use of this content.
Voting Booth
Have you entered our Health of the Nation survey?
Please select an option Oops! Something went wrong, please try again later.
32% - 9432 votes
68% - 19939 votes