Ask an expert

02 Feb 2010

Dear Dr
What would be the best thing for me to do to remove pigmentation and scarring i have on my face cheeks due to acne
and who can assist me in this
Can any dermotologist have this done
I stay in south Jhb do you know of any laser clinic who does this or any one thank you very much
Answer 393 views
Anti-ageing expert
anti-ageing expert

01 Jan 0001

Hi ZDA, thank you for the question.

You have a number of options to remove pigmentation and scarring and the treatment choice is dependent on the depth of the pigmentation and the degree of scarring.

Your first choice is to use a good SPF (50 or higher) that contains zinc oxide and/or titanium dioxide (applied several times daily) and to practice sun avoidance as much as possible.

Topical products such as NeoStrata, Environ, Nimue, etc. have products that specifically target pigmentation and scarring. One can also consider superficial or medium depth peels such glycolic acid and TCA. Ultimately one may need to consider skin rejuvenation and fractional technology.

Please phone Dr Marianne Duvenage at +27 (0)12-460 4646+27 or (0)12-460 4650 (294 Aries Street, Waterkloof Ridge, Pretoria) and ask them to refer you to a dermatologist in Johannesburg who deals specifically with pigmentation and scarring.
The information provided does not constitute a diagnosis of your condition. You should consult a medical practitioner or other appropriate health care professional for a physical examination, diagnosis and formal advice. Health24 and the expert accept no responsibility or liability for any damage or personal harm you may suffer resulting from making use of this content.
Voting Booth
Have you entered our Health of the Nation survey?
Please select an option Oops! Something went wrong, please try again later.
32% - 9472 votes
68% - 20299 votes