Ask an expert
Search expert health advice:
Browse by expert
- Allergy expert
- Anti-ageing expert
- Arthritis expert
- Breast cancer expert
- Cancer expert
- Oral health expert
- Diabetes expert
- EnviroHealth expert
- Family law expert
- Fertility expert
- Flu expert
- Headache expert
- Healthy Bones
- Hearing Expert
- Hypertension expert
- Incontinence Expert
- Labour lawyer
- Meditation Expert
07 Feb 2006
My mom (age 79) has been told that she has low cholestrol. I know high cholestrol is bad but is there anything we should worry about with low cholestrol?
No, most people would give a fortune to be told their cholesterol is low.
Having said that, I must ask:
1. Was this a laboratory measurement or a pharmacy fingerprick? This is relevant because pharmacy fingerprick tests do not usually give a breakdown of the total
2. Which cholesterol is low? Is it the total, the LDL cholesterol, or the HDL cholesterol? This is relevant, because if the total is low, but it is all made up of “bad” LDL, then that is not good. If her total is normal, but she has too little HDL then that is also not good. You can see why a fingerprick test is simply inadequate.
The picture which is best is the following: a normal total cholesterol, in which the HDL is = or more than 1.0, and a low LDL. If your Mom is not overweight and otherwise well and has these readings, then there is no cause for concern.
The information provided does not constitute a diagnosis of your condition. You should consult a medical practitioner or other appropriate health care professional for a physical examination, diagnosis and formal advice. Health24 and the expert accept no responsibility or liability for any damage or personal harm you may suffer resulting from making use of this content.
- Blood type A may increase Covid-19 risk, study finds
- Best evidence on Covid-19 vaccines, immunity and whether the virus will become endemic or seasonal
- Seven tips for choosing healthier drinks, and avoiding that hangover
- Four Covid-related skin complaints everyone should look out for
- Tailored diets are essential for mental health, according to new research
- Police minister to 'seek clarity' on claims News24 journalist 'bugged'
- Ralph Mathekga | Mkhwebane inquiry: Where does the loyalty of the ANC caucus lie?
- North West intervention: 'Let's not mention names' - committee chair tells MPs
- Brian Molefe: I have no regrets that I knew the Guptas
- Reprimand or worse? What could happen if Mogoeng fails to retract 'brazenly defiant' Israel comments
Have you entered our Health of the Nation survey?Please select an option Oops! Something went wrong, please try again later.
33% - 9380 votes
67% - 19472 votes