Ask an expert
Search expert health advice:
Browse by expert
- Allergy expert
- Anti-ageing expert
- Arthritis expert
- Breast cancer expert
- Cancer expert
- Oral health expert
- Diabetes expert
- EnviroHealth expert
- Family law expert
- Fertility expert
- Flu expert
- Headache expert
- Healthy Bones
- Hearing Expert
- Hypertension expert
- Incontinence Expert
- Labour lawyer
- Meditation Expert
29 Sep 2006
Dermatitis / Pomphylex
Hi - would you please tell me more about Dermatitis / Pomphylex on the tips of the thumb, index and middle fingers of my right hand. My GP says he thinks it is caused by stress (in my case) and says it is not eczema as it is not itchy. It started on my thumb only, quite a few months ago then spread to the index and middle fingers at different times. Your second opinion would be appreciated, as well as the treatment you would recommend. Thank-you.
Dermatitis involving the fingers may be pompholyx. It usually starts wiyh tiny blisters. Itching is usually prominent. The cause is unknown and is not related to stress. Contact dermatitis=contact with nickel, plants etc, may also cause such lesions. And sometimes a fungal infection. The treatment depends on the cause. Allergy tests=patch tests may be valuable. Apply a cortisone cream for 10-14 days and if no improvement see your doctor.
The information provided does not constitute a diagnosis of your condition. You should consult a medical practitioner or other appropriate health care professional for a physical examination, diagnosis and formal advice. Health24 and the expert accept no responsibility or liability for any damage or personal harm you may suffer resulting from making use of this content.
- How rare is very rare? Your questions about blood clots – answered
- Your guide to side-effects: What you can expect after a Covid-19 jab
- Anxiety around illness in childhood and adolescence can become chronic
- Strict public health measures associated with lower Covid-19 cases and deaths
- Lockdown dramatically increased stress levels and loss of sleep in mothers
- Covid-19: Move to a stricter lockdown level, experts warn as third wave looms
- Witnesses out to get me, Lucky Montana tells Zondo about his properties
- Ralph Mathekga | Magashule suspension: Cue the battle of the ANC branches
- Taxpayers will foot the bill while ANC MPs 'step aside'
- Damian dilemma: Why Willemse is key to Stormers breaking duck
Have you entered our Health of the Nation survey?Please select an option Oops! Something went wrong, please try again later.
32% - 9469 votes
68% - 20242 votes