Ask an expert

03 Oct 2006

Dry Itchy skin even with moisturiser
Since I fell pregnant (July 2004), my skin changed. It became itchy, used all itchy skin relief skin for pregnant women. After birth it did not stop and as a result I have bad marks on my back and waistline. I get hives (when I take offmy clothes)just like those you experience when having an allergic reaction, they get extremely itchy that I scratch and get bruises tha will leave scabs and dark marks where they were. I am allergic to some foods, trees, etc. I also think I might have developed an allergy to certain fabrics that I wear. If I wear jeans or clothes that are tight on the waist and my bra's they will make my skin will be itchy by the end of the day. I some times put on Zambuk cream to ease the itchiness. My breasts also have marks from the itching. I use Camphor cream in winter as directed by my GP years ago when my skin used to crack from dryness. In summer I general use Vaseline Skin Food because the camphor cream makes my skin sweat. I was also using Palmers oil for itchy skin relief on pregnant women for the past 2 months. I have not had any major relief either. The rest of my body is fine, just the waist line, breast and bra line.
Answer 1,298 views

01 Jan 0001

Do you suffer from asthma or hay fever? If you do the diagnosis is most likely atopic eczema. This type of eczema tends to become worse during pregnancy. The other possibility is that of allergic contact eczema. In other words you are allergic to something that comes into contact with the skin. Nickel is the commonest cause and is a component of costume jewellery, jean studs, clips of undergarments etc. This diagnosis can be confirmed by patch tests=allergy tests. Nickel and other allergens are patched on the skin for 48 hours. Patch testing by a dermatologist should be the first step. A correct diagnosis must be made before correct treatment can be given. Topical cortisone cream will provide relief.
The information provided does not constitute a diagnosis of your condition. You should consult a medical practitioner or other appropriate health care professional for a physical examination, diagnosis and formal advice. Health24 and the expert accept no responsibility or liability for any damage or personal harm you may suffer resulting from making use of this content.