Ask an expert
Search expert health advice:
Browse by expert
- Allergy expert
- Anti-ageing expert
- Arthritis expert
- Breast cancer expert
- Cancer expert
- Oral health expert
- Diabetes expert
- EnviroHealth expert
- Family law expert
- Fertility expert
- Flu expert
- Headache expert
- Healthy Bones
- Hearing Expert
- Hypertension expert
- Incontinence Expert
- Labour lawyer
- Meditation Expert
04 Oct 2006
Fair skin and sunburn
Please can you advise what precautions I can take with regards to the sun and very fair skin. I have used sun cream with a 30+ factor, to no avail. I burn within seconds of walking out in the sun and being a very outdoor person this is causing problems. A friend suggested I put myself on a course of silversun tablets before I go outdoors. What do these tablets do, and will it be successful in helping me not burn?
If you have a very fair skin you should AVOID sun exposure between 11 and 3. I know it is difficult, but try. Wear a broadbrimmed hat and long sleeves as far as possible. Use a sunscreen that protects against UVB and UVA. Ask your pharmacist. Use the sunscreen correctly. Vitamin A tablets have no protective effect and will NOT protect you from burning. I assume that you are not using medication that may make you sensitive to sunlight. Some systemic diseases may cause sensitivity to sunlight. Also a disease called porphyria. Google the latter.
The information provided does not constitute a diagnosis of your condition. You should consult a medical practitioner or other appropriate health care professional for a physical examination, diagnosis and formal advice. Health24 and the expert accept no responsibility or liability for any damage or personal harm you may suffer resulting from making use of this content.
- Why South Africa stopped making vaccines
- Cloth masks can be as effective as surgical masks against Covid-19, new study reports
- How rare is very rare? Your questions about blood clots – answered
- High doses of vitamin D have no effect on severe Covid infection - study
- Moderna’s experimental booster shot protects against variants first discovered in SA and Brazil
- THE ESKOM FILES | La bella vita: The lavish house Eskom exec Hlakudi built with 'bribes'
- 'SA's variant has more mutations' - Prof Karim not overly concerned about India variant
- 'Nothing concrete so far, let's stop' - Zondo to former Free State DG during testimony
- Karyn Maughan | Chief Justice Mogoeng's exit: How will the judiciary be impacted?
- SA's 'global influence' shown in US Covid-19 vaccine IP waiver, Ramaphosa says
Have you entered our Health of the Nation survey?Please select an option Oops! Something went wrong, please try again later.
32% - 9465 votes
68% - 20208 votes