Ask an expert
Search expert health advice:
Browse by expert
- Allergy expert
- Anti-ageing expert
- Arthritis expert
- Breast cancer expert
- Cancer expert
- Oral health expert
- Diabetes expert
- EnviroHealth expert
- Family law expert
- Fertility expert
- Flu expert
- Headache expert
- Healthy Bones
- Hearing Expert
- Hypertension expert
- Incontinence Expert
- Labour lawyer
- Meditation Expert
19 Sep 2006
High Blood Pressure
I have never suffered from HBP, but today my BP was 180/99. I had to wait to see the Dr for 4 hours, maybe this was one of the reasons for the HBP. What causes it, is there anything one can do naturally??
If you spent 4 hours fuming with anger, pacing up and down, yes it may have contributed to your BP. However, if you were just sitting around for the 4 hours, then you are even worse off than you think.
BP readings like yours cannot be brought under control “naturally” – remember, hypertension is called the silent killer, because IT WILL KILL YOU IF NOT TREATED. Natural remedies like salt restriction, meditation, yoga etc all help, but cannot be used alone with readings like yours. You need to be on some form of medication to get your pressure down fast, to 120/80. Once you are stabilised there, you can gain further benefit from things like yoga.
Weight loss, exercise and stopping smoking are always advised, together with medication, as they have a great impact on BP, so this you can do.
The information provided does not constitute a diagnosis of your condition. You should consult a medical practitioner or other appropriate health care professional for a physical examination, diagnosis and formal advice. Health24 and the expert accept no responsibility or liability for any damage or personal harm you may suffer resulting from making use of this content.
- Struggling to convince someone who's vaccine-hesitant to get Covid-19 jab? Try this approach
- Type 2 diabetes: Sitting can cause problems with blood sugar levels, so get up and move
- PODCAST | HIV unmuted: Aids and the elusive vaccine
- Finding an HIV vaccine: Five lessons from the search for a Covid-19 jab
- How quickly do we become unfit?
- Phase 2 of SA's ambitious Covid-19 vaccination drive gets under way countrywide
- If Zuma is ready to go on trial, why is he bringing another doomed case against the NPA?
- State capture: Geoff Makhubo denies his influence was bought
- OPINION | Berry lekker: How urban foraging is one way to help feed SA's hungry
- Ralph Mathekga | Magashule ties ANC's hands
Have you entered our Health of the Nation survey?Please select an option Oops! Something went wrong, please try again later.
32% - 9476 votes
68% - 20349 votes