Ask an expert
Search expert health advice:
Browse by expert
- Allergy expert
- Anti-ageing expert
- Arthritis expert
- Breast cancer expert
- Cancer expert
- Oral health expert
- Diabetes expert
- EnviroHealth expert
- Family law expert
- Fertility expert
- Flu expert
- Headache expert
- Healthy Bones
- Hearing Expert
- Hypertension expert
- Incontinence Expert
- Labour lawyer
- Meditation Expert
13 Sep 2006
My brother (30 yeasr old) has been diagnosed with stage 3 (out of 5) melanoma. Tomorrow he is going into hospital to have 6 more moles as well as some glands removed... My question is what are his chances of a full recovery and what can be done to help fight this disease?
The outlook depends on the stage of the disease. A stage 1 melanoma is confined to the skin. The DEPTH of the melanoma determines the prognosis. Thin M's are curable, but thick ones not. Stage 2 disease has spread to the lymph glands. The prognosis wiil depend on the number of glands involved. Generally the prognosis is not favourable. In stage 3 M there is spread to other organs. The outlook is dismal. You get my point? Accurate staging is essential. Prevention is better than cure. Any mole that changes needs attention. Limit sun/sunbed exposure. Use a good sunscreen. Any new mole or new pigmented=brown or black spot needs attention. Attention means-see your doctor.
The information provided does not constitute a diagnosis of your condition. You should consult a medical practitioner or other appropriate health care professional for a physical examination, diagnosis and formal advice. Health24 and the expert accept no responsibility or liability for any damage or personal harm you may suffer resulting from making use of this content.
- Covid-19: A potentially deadly ‘black fungus’ infection seen in patients in India
- Trying to cut down on your meat intake? Experts suggest you should just look at it
- Fighting the flu season: Two experts answer key questions about the flu shot
- Your guide to side-effects: What you can expect after a Covid-19 jab
- Core strength: Why is it important and how do you maintain it?
- Ace: I do not fear expulsion
- THE ESKOM FILES | Money for jam: StefStocks, Basil Read accused of fleecing millions from Kusile 'scheme'
- State alleges Nafiz Modack manages criminal enterprise
- How the EFF wants to change the Constitution
- Bruce Cameron | What you need to know about disability assurance and mental health
Have you entered our Health of the Nation survey?Please select an option Oops! Something went wrong, please try again later.
32% - 9474 votes
68% - 20305 votes