Ask an expert

24 Feb 2005

Partner on Medical aid
My Boyfriend that I co-habitat with wants to put me on his medical aid, which is great because I cannot affort it and never have been on one. But the company has sent me a page to fill out with questions like "why do you want to be on this shceme as a dependant?" What should I say other than we live like a married couple for three years and he earms more than me?? Please help as this is my only chance to be on a medical aid and I don't know what to say other than that.

Answer 6,915 views

01 Jan 0001

The medical scheme accepts a common law spouse as a dependant. Most schemes will accept a dependant as a spouse if they lived together for more than 6 months. I do not know whether the "company" you mentioned is the employer or medical scheme.
There is not much more that yo can to than to provide the "company" of an affidavit where you state that you have been living together with your boyfriend for 3 years
The information provided does not constitute a diagnosis of your condition. You should consult a medical practitioner or other appropriate health care professional for a physical examination, diagnosis and formal advice. Health24 and the expert accept no responsibility or liability for any damage or personal harm you may suffer resulting from making use of this content.
Voting Booth
Have you entered our Health of the Nation survey?
Please select an option Oops! Something went wrong, please try again later.
30% - 9645 votes
70% - 22647 votes