Ask an expert

23 Oct 2006

Hi Doc

I have just notices a rash on the underside of my upper arm. It is about 4cm long and about 2,5cm height - looks like pin pricks. The little pin pricks were bright red and after about 10 mins went brown. It is itchy.

When does a rash become serious enough to see a GP - what signs do you look for?

Thank you
Answer 316 views

01 Jan 0001

An itchy, red rash on the underside of the arm is most likely eczema. I would say contact eczema=contact with nickel in costume jewellery, dyes, plants, chromates, medicines etc. Atopic eczema may show such a rash. These persons also have asthma and or hay fever. Apply a cortisone cream for a few days. Any rash that does not resolve within a few days with simple treatment needs to be seen by a doctor. Any rash that worsens on any treatment should be seen by adoctor.
The information provided does not constitute a diagnosis of your condition. You should consult a medical practitioner or other appropriate health care professional for a physical examination, diagnosis and formal advice. Health24 and the expert accept no responsibility or liability for any damage or personal harm you may suffer resulting from making use of this content.
Voting Booth
Have you entered our Health of the Nation survey?
Please select an option Oops! Something went wrong, please try again later.
32% - 9474 votes
68% - 20306 votes