Ask an expert

29 Apr 2003

Urethra itching
Dear Doctor, I have a problem of itching inside my urethra during urinating. This only happens on certain occassion. The test that I have done did not indicate any infection regarding STI's. I suspect that I might have a problem on the urinary tracting duct, however I never been tested on this. Could you please advice on what should I do to solve the problem?
Answer 307 views

01 Jan 0001

Dear Johan

The differential diagnosis includes a urethritis (infection), narrowing in the urethra (stricture) or bladder cause. Tests that should be done include urine PCR for Chlamydia and Gonorrhoea. If these are negative, do a urethral swab to look for inflammatory cells. If a full examination is normal, you may require a cystoscopy (look inside) if it still worries you. See your urologist.

The information provided does not constitute a diagnosis of your condition. You should consult a medical practitioner or other appropriate health care professional for a physical examination, diagnosis and formal advice. Health24 and the expert accept no responsibility or liability for any damage or personal harm you may suffer resulting from making use of this content.
Voting Booth
Have you entered our Health of the Nation survey?
Please select an option Oops! Something went wrong, please try again later.
32% - 9465 votes
68% - 20208 votes