Ask an expert

22 Apr 2003

Urinary incontinence - 7yr old
Hi My daughter is 7 years old and has a constant problem of urge incontinence. I have taken her to my GP and he said she should grow out of it, however it tends to be embarassing for her currently. I have an addition fear that she will never grow out of it, since both my mum and myself suffer from this as well. Fortunately, I've learnt to watch the clock. Is there some treatment that I can give her or somewhere I can take her for treatment - Preferably in Johannesburg/Germiston area. Your help is greatly appreciated. Thanks
Answer 319 views

01 Jan 0001

Dear Parsh

She needs a urological assessment. We need to go through her entire history of urination. A low dose of oxybutynin may help her. If her symptoms persist, she will need a urodynamic study to see how bad here bladder is. She should also have a neurological assessment.

Look in the Yellow pages under medical and urology or go to one of the major private clinics. Otherwise there is a paediatric urology clinic at JHB hospital.

The information provided does not constitute a diagnosis of your condition. You should consult a medical practitioner or other appropriate health care professional for a physical examination, diagnosis and formal advice. Health24 and the expert accept no responsibility or liability for any damage or personal harm you may suffer resulting from making use of this content.
Voting Booth
Have you entered our Health of the Nation survey?
Please select an option Oops! Something went wrong, please try again later.
32% - 9467 votes
68% - 20240 votes