Ask an expert
Search expert health advice:
Browse by expert
- Allergy expert
- Anti-ageing expert
- Arthritis expert
- Breast cancer expert
- Cancer expert
- Oral health expert
- Diabetes expert
- EnviroHealth expert
- Family law expert
- Fertility expert
- Flu expert
- Headache expert
- Healthy Bones
- Hearing Expert
- Hypertension expert
- Incontinence Expert
- Labour lawyer
- Meditation Expert
20 Oct 2006
Whats the difference?
What is the difference between a dermatologist and a skin specialist if any? My son is four,overweight and he has peeling skin in between his thighs or rather wher his thigh meets the pelvis ,which are also very dark,same problem on his neck,it is unsightly and i do wash him there.someone told me its because of sweat and the weight.I cannot afford a skin specialist,what i can i use on him.Thank you.
No difference! Darkening of the skin in the folds of the skin and on the neck is quite common. It is more common in darkskinned people. Friction, sweat and obesity may play a role. In some persons the neck may have a velvety appearance. Diabetes should be excluded in such cases. Weight reduction may certainly help. Redness and itching are not features. If you are in doubt rather see your GP.
The information provided does not constitute a diagnosis of your condition. You should consult a medical practitioner or other appropriate health care professional for a physical examination, diagnosis and formal advice. Health24 and the expert accept no responsibility or liability for any damage or personal harm you may suffer resulting from making use of this content.
- How rare is very rare? Your questions about blood clots – answered
- Strict public health measures associated with lower Covid-19 cases and deaths
- Anxiety around illness in childhood and adolescence can become chronic
- Lockdown dramatically increased stress levels and loss of sleep in mothers
- Why South Africa stopped making vaccines
- Covid-19: Move to a stricter lockdown level, experts warn as third wave looms
- Witnesses out to get me, Lucky Montana tells Zondo about his properties
- Ralph Mathekga | Magashule suspension: Cue the battle of the ANC branches
- Taxpayers will foot the bill while ANC MPs 'step aside'
- Damian dilemma: Why Willemse is key to Stormers breaking duck
Have you entered our Health of the Nation survey?Please select an option Oops! Something went wrong, please try again later.
32% - 9469 votes
68% - 20241 votes