Ask an expert
Search expert health advice:
Browse by expert
- Allergy expert
- Anti-ageing expert
- Arthritis expert
- Breast cancer expert
- Cancer expert
- Oral health expert
- Diabetes expert
- EnviroHealth expert
- Family law expert
- Fertility expert
- Flu expert
- Headache expert
- Healthy Bones
- Hearing Expert
- Hypertension expert
- Incontinence Expert
- Labour lawyer
- Meditation Expert
23 Feb 2010
Degenerative Disk Disease & Zumba Workout
I had a lower back operation in Nov 2008, due to a pinched nerve, and the specialist informed me that I have what is called degenerative disk disease. The operation was a success. My physio told me that I would need to strengthen my back and stomach muscles. She also told me that I am not aloud to dance. Is this true?
Also I would like to know, with my current condition would it be a good idea for me to do a Zumba workout class or not? Since Zumba is a cardiovascular workout, but mostly incorporates latin dance moves that target the lower and upper body. I''''m currently doing a tae-bo class and a hip-hop Abs class. After the class my lower back hurts, but the next day I don''''t have any pain and I am fine. Or will doing this only be harmful to my back in the long run?
I don''''t have any back problems now, except for the occasional lower back pain every now and then.
Could you please advise me as to what to do?
Dear Odette - it seems like you are doing it all, and doing fairly good too!!! Although the exercises and routines you are following, seem to be good - I would recommend that you talk to a Biokineticist as well for more specific guidance on exercise routines.
The information provided does not constitute a diagnosis of your condition. You should consult a medical practitioner or other appropriate health care professional for a physical examination, diagnosis and formal advice. Health24 and the expert accept no responsibility or liability for any damage or personal harm you may suffer resulting from making use of this content.
- Your guide to side-effects: What you can expect after a Covid-19 jab
- Fighting the flu season: Two experts answer key questions about the flu shot
- Obesity linked to increased in-hospital mortality in Covid-19 patients, especially men
- Anxiety around illness in childhood and adolescence can become chronic
- How rare is very rare? Your questions about blood clots – answered
- Covid-19: Move to a stricter lockdown level, experts warn as third wave looms
- Witnesses out to get me, Lucky Montana tells Zondo about his properties
- Humble rooibos is now a superfood, and SA could be cashing in
- Who is Prince Misuzulu?
- Ralph Mathekga | Magashule suspension: Cue the battle of the ANC branches
Have you entered our Health of the Nation survey?Please select an option Oops! Something went wrong, please try again later.
32% - 9470 votes
68% - 20259 votes