Ask an expert

03 Feb 2006

Acid Reflux??
Hi Doc.
Havent slept for 2 nights now, because i keep waking up with this sharp, uncomfortable pain in my chest that then moves to my back. I suffer from heartburn on most days. I am overweight. So i wanted to know if this is acid reflux/GERD and what i can use OTC?

It feels like food is stuck in my chest on the way down to my stomach. This uncomfortable feeling! I can hardly eat because of the discomfort. I am unable to go to the doctor, because i'm waiting for my medical aid to be sorted out. So if you can please give me some advice and some recommendation to what i cna take for it , i'll be very grateful!
Answer 1,047 views

01 Jan 0001

Dear Anon,
It sounds like acid reflux.
Try taking an antispasmodic like Scopex, and Mucaine 2 teaspoons every 8 hours when you have the pain. Buy some Zantac 75 at the chemist and take that twice a day to reduce the acid in your tummy.
You must have this checked out asap.
The information provided does not constitute a diagnosis of your condition. You should consult a medical practitioner or other appropriate health care professional for a physical examination, diagnosis and formal advice. Health24 and the expert accept no responsibility or liability for any damage or personal harm you may suffer resulting from making use of this content.