Ask an expert
Search expert health advice:
Browse by expert
- Allergy expert
- Anti-ageing expert
- Arthritis expert
- Breast cancer expert
- Cancer expert
- Oral health expert
- Diabetes expert
- EnviroHealth expert
- Family law expert
- Fertility expert
- Flu expert
- Headache expert
- Healthy Bones
- Hearing Expert
- Hypertension expert
- Incontinence Expert
- Labour lawyer
- Meditation Expert
27 Feb 2003
My 7 year old daughter has been very disruptive in class and battles to focus on things for very long. We also find that we have to ask her to do things at least 3 times over before she even "hears" us. We have been told that she is just blatantly naughty and that we should "beat" this attitude problem out of her (somehow I don't believe that would work) but now a friend has informed us that my daughter is showing the same signs as her son who was diagnosed with ADHD was before he was put onto Ritalin. It concerns me that it is so easy to classify a child ie that they have ADHD. We are planning to get her tested but are not sure how to go about it and is there any chance there could be something else "wrong"?
Kaz, as soon as I suspect that a child in my practice as ADHD, I get in the help of a child psychiatrist and a child psychologist and if they’re not a 100% sure a paediatric neurologist. I agree that too many children are put on Ritalin® just because their teachers or parents can’t handle a strong-willed child. On the other hand, Ritalin® can make the world of difference if given to the right child. The best would be to have her evaluated by at least a child psychiatrist before you do anything. Good luck.
The information provided does not constitute a diagnosis of your condition. You should consult a medical practitioner or other appropriate health care professional for a physical examination, diagnosis and formal advice. Health24 and the expert accept no responsibility or liability for any damage or personal harm you may suffer resulting from making use of this content.
- Core strength: Why is it important and how do you maintain it?
- Covid-19: A potentially deadly ‘black fungus’ infection seen in patients in India
- WATCH | How face masks protect you against Covid-19
- OPINION | Pilgrimage in a pandemic: Lessons from Mecca on containing Covid-19
- WHO to restart Covid trial to test if three existing drugs can save lives of hospitalised patients
- 'It was hell' - daughter of KwaSizabantu preacher speaks out about abusive childhood
- ANALYSIS | Cyril Ramaphosa's fight against corruption can't be taken seriously while budgets are cut
- DA up in arms over police deployment in Cape crime hotspots
- EXPLAINER | Why SAA receivership doesn't need to be solvent
- Only 27% of Western Cape residents over 60 have registered for Covid-19 vaccination
Have you entered our Health of the Nation survey?Please select an option Oops! Something went wrong, please try again later.
32% - 9472 votes
68% - 20292 votes