Ask an expert
Search expert health advice:
Browse by expert
- Allergy expert
- Anti-ageing expert
- Arthritis expert
- Breast cancer expert
- Cancer expert
- Oral health expert
- Diabetes expert
- EnviroHealth expert
- Family law expert
- Fertility expert
- Flu expert
- Headache expert
- Healthy Bones
- Hearing Expert
- Hypertension expert
- Incontinence Expert
- Labour lawyer
- Meditation Expert
08 Apr 2003
I've had recurring episodes of my peripheral vision degrading into a shimmering,fluttering 'blind spot',starting in the left eye and spreading to the right.This lasts on average twenty minutes after which normal vision returns,although it feels a bit as if my periphral vision has been decreased.There is no major headache associated with these episodes,but for a day or so afterwards my head does feel 'stuffy' and a bit tender-especially if I shake it suddenly.I recently heard similar symptoms ascribed to arterioveinous malformation and wondered if that might be what's wrong with me.
Sam, arteriovenous malformations are abnormal “short-cuts” between the arteries and veins. This usually leads to dilatation of the veins and this can then of course lead to symptoms. These symptoms usually progress with time and don’t often come and go. That said, the only way to make sure would be to see your doctor and have tests done. Good luck.
The information provided does not constitute a diagnosis of your condition. You should consult a medical practitioner or other appropriate health care professional for a physical examination, diagnosis and formal advice. Health24 and the expert accept no responsibility or liability for any damage or personal harm you may suffer resulting from making use of this content.
- Why South Africa stopped making vaccines
- Are chemicals shrinking your penis and depleting your sperm? Here’s what the evidence really says
- How rare is very rare? Your questions about blood clots – answered
- High doses of vitamin D have no effect on severe Covid infection - study
- ‘We have to be alert, not alarmed’ says KRISP director about B.1.617 variant identified in India
- THE ESKOM FILES | Flashy Eskom exec 'still owe us about a million bucks' says Pretoria builder
- US support on Covid-19 vaccine patents: This is how it happened
- SATURDAY PROFILE | From Sudan to SA: One man's journey from being called a spy to becoming a doctor
- Did 'Vermeulen 4 Vunipola 0' influence Lions' selection shock?
- Budget cuts for NPA, SIU
Have you entered our Health of the Nation survey?Please select an option Oops! Something went wrong, please try again later.
32% - 9467 votes
68% - 20217 votes