Ask an expert

21 Feb 2003

Calcified ... Cyst ?
I found a hard bump underneath my skin on top and at the center of the breast bone about six months ago and my dermatologist has repeatedly assured me that it is not a tumour but a harmless cyst. It's apparently a "calcified ... cyst".

He mentioned that it cannot be treated other than by surgery via a plastic surgeon.

I'd like to find out more about this type of cyst, what causes it (apparently genetic?), should I be worried and are there any alternative means of removing it or minimising it? Will it continue to grow (currently the size of a pea)?

Kind regards.
Answer 519 views

01 Jan 0001

Durbs, it’s difficult for to say what type of cyst it is without being able to examine you, but it sounds like a sebaceous gland from this side of the screen. It isn’t dangerous, but it might increase in size with time. If you leave it alone it might even shrink a bit, but it’s unlikely that it will go away by itself. The reason for the plastic surgeon is that these things can leave the most horrendous scars when they’re removed in areas above the navel. Good luck.
The information provided does not constitute a diagnosis of your condition. You should consult a medical practitioner or other appropriate health care professional for a physical examination, diagnosis and formal advice. Health24 and the expert accept no responsibility or liability for any damage or personal harm you may suffer resulting from making use of this content.
Voting Booth
Have you entered our Health of the Nation survey?
Please select an option Oops! Something went wrong, please try again later.
32% - 9474 votes
68% - 20305 votes