Ask an expert

04 Apr 2003

Depression in a mentally handicapped personn
My son of 18, was born with congenital ruebella, which has resulted in him being deaf, partially sighted and retarded. The older he gets, the more difficult he becomes, the doctors say he is suffering from depression, he often becomes very frustrated and violent. He takes prohexal and fluanxol, which doen't seem to be doing much. I need some advise, as I don't know what to do anymore. It is awful for me to see my son so unhappy.
Answer 367 views

01 Jan 0001

Erika, treating depression in a mentally handicapped person is always very difficult and sometimes the only thing we can do is to sedate the patient until he is not unhappy anymore and doesn’t become violent. The best would be to take him to a psychiatrist who specialises in this kind of case or to take him to one of the mental facilities associated with one of the teaching hospitals. Good luck.
The information provided does not constitute a diagnosis of your condition. You should consult a medical practitioner or other appropriate health care professional for a physical examination, diagnosis and formal advice. Health24 and the expert accept no responsibility or liability for any damage or personal harm you may suffer resulting from making use of this content.
Voting Booth
Have you entered our Health of the Nation survey?
Please select an option Oops! Something went wrong, please try again later.
32% - 9472 votes
68% - 20283 votes