Ask an expert
Search expert health advice:
Browse by expert
- Allergy expert
- Anti-ageing expert
- Arthritis expert
- Breast cancer expert
- Cancer expert
- Oral health expert
- Diabetes expert
- EnviroHealth expert
- Family law expert
- Fertility expert
- Flu expert
- Headache expert
- Healthy Bones
- Hearing Expert
- Hypertension expert
- Incontinence Expert
- Labour lawyer
- Meditation Expert
04 Apr 2003
Depression in a mentally handicapped personn
My son of 18, was born with congenital ruebella, which has resulted in him being deaf, partially sighted and retarded. The older he gets, the more difficult he becomes, the doctors say he is suffering from depression, he often becomes very frustrated and violent. He takes prohexal and fluanxol, which doen't seem to be doing much. I need some advise, as I don't know what to do anymore. It is awful for me to see my son so unhappy.
Erika, treating depression in a mentally handicapped person is always very difficult and sometimes the only thing we can do is to sedate the patient until he is not unhappy anymore and doesn’t become violent. The best would be to take him to a psychiatrist who specialises in this kind of case or to take him to one of the mental facilities associated with one of the teaching hospitals. Good luck.
The information provided does not constitute a diagnosis of your condition. You should consult a medical practitioner or other appropriate health care professional for a physical examination, diagnosis and formal advice. Health24 and the expert accept no responsibility or liability for any damage or personal harm you may suffer resulting from making use of this content.
- Covid-19: A potentially deadly ‘black fungus’ infection seen in patients in India
- Your guide to side-effects: What you can expect after a Covid-19 jab
- Mounting evidence suggests Covid-19 vaccines do reduce transmission. How does this work?
- Long Covid: How rehabilitation programmes may be needed to get patients back on track
- Fighting the flu season: Two experts answer key questions about the flu shot
- THE ESKOM FILES | WaBenzi and a house on Jamaican Music Street: Eskom exec's charmed life
- Magashule attempt to suspend Ramaphosa: 'People from other countries were calling' - Duarte
- Atul Gupta says Home Affairs records show no legal reasons for passport denial
- Nolwandle Mthombeni | We'd be a lot better off if social issues were as important as profit
- Talks with investors will reduce Rebosis' debt levels significantly - Sisa Ngebulana
Have you entered our Health of the Nation survey?Please select an option Oops! Something went wrong, please try again later.
32% - 9472 votes
68% - 20283 votes