Ask an expert

26 Feb 2003

Ear Blocks Up Regularly
For the past 8 months my right ear has been blocking up regularly for no particular reason I can pinpoint. I am unable to un-block it using the old "hold your nose and blow", "yawn", "chew gum" or "swallow" methods. There is no ringing in the ear, or pain, or dizziness. Just a major annoyance factor and a hearing interference.

It started occurring when I entered a well air-conditioned room or when I put the air-conditioner on in the car at full power and rapidly cooled down. Unfortunately this has now progressed to occurring even without entering an air-conditioned environment.

I visited my GP who put me on a course of anti-biotics (which I completed). This helped for a while, but the problem recurred and he referred me to an ENT.

The ENT prescribed Telfast 180 and Myprodol (anti-inflammatory) for "immediate" relief. Well the Myprodols certainly did the trick when required.

Unfortunately about a month and a half later, I had to return to the ENT. This time he prescribed two nasal sprays (mixed) Betnesol and Iliadin and yes, more Myprodols.

Once again this helped for a while, but has seemed to have lost it's effectiveness, and I have taken more Myprodols (thankfully you can purchase them without having to go get a prescription every time) than I am completely comfortable with.

I am now looking for help or advice wherever I can, do you have any?
Answer 645 views

01 Jan 0001

MTA, it sounds like something is causing your Eustachian tube to swell and block. This is usually do to an infection or an allergy, but it doesn’t have to be. The trick is now to find out what causes the swelling – something that is very difficult to do from this side of the screen. The next step would probably be to change the antihistamine (Telfast®) to a different one like Deselex®. If that doesn’t work, an MRI scan to see whether there is an anatomical reason for the blockage would probably be the next step. Maybe the easiest would be to first get a second opinion from a different ENT specialist. Good luck.
The information provided does not constitute a diagnosis of your condition. You should consult a medical practitioner or other appropriate health care professional for a physical examination, diagnosis and formal advice. Health24 and the expert accept no responsibility or liability for any damage or personal harm you may suffer resulting from making use of this content.