Ask an expert

20 Sep 2007

Flakey lumps on skin
I am a 68 year old male in general good health. For the last five or six years I have developed a few brown flakey lumps on my skin. They are generally about 5-10mm in diameter. My doctor dismissed them as part of the aging process. I wasn't too concerned at first, but recently one appeared on the visible part of my scalp. Last year I had squamous (I think that is what it was called) skin cancer removed from my scalp, which tends to add to my concern. As I don't want to end up looking like a toad, the question is: what causes these lumps and Is there any treatment for the condition?
Answer 391 views

01 Jan 0001

Dear Bob
this is called an actinic keratosis or a solar keratosis and is often caused by years of sundamage. They are considered pre-cancerous and needs to be removed by freezing as 10-15% can develop into squamous skin cancer. Best would be to see a dermatologist.
See also:
Dr Bets
The information provided does not constitute a diagnosis of your condition. You should consult a medical practitioner or other appropriate health care professional for a physical examination, diagnosis and formal advice. Health24 and the expert accept no responsibility or liability for any damage or personal harm you may suffer resulting from making use of this content.
Voting Booth
Have you entered our Health of the Nation survey?
Please select an option Oops! Something went wrong, please try again later.
33% - 9363 votes
67% - 19333 votes