Ask an expert

29 Jan 2010

Dear Doc

Please will you advise whether a gastroenterologist is a " surgeon" ? Does a gastroenterologist operate on a hiatus hernia?

Can a " general surgeon"  perform a gastroscopy, and operate on a hiatus hernia?

Please explain the difference between a gastroenterologist and a general surgeon?

Thank you
Answer 363 views

01 Jan 0001

A gastroenterologist focus purely on the gastro-intestinal tract and will have more experience on dealing with a hiatus hernia. A general surgeon will also be very capable in this regard.


Dr Anrich Burger

The information provided does not constitute a diagnosis of your condition. You should consult a medical practitioner or other appropriate health care professional for a physical examination, diagnosis and formal advice. Health24 and the expert accept no responsibility or liability for any damage or personal harm you may suffer resulting from making use of this content.