Ask an expert

22 Oct 2006

I have been to hospital last week for an irritating rash on the top of left foot.I were refer to do a HIV bloodtest & CD4 and may results came back positive.This were really a shock to me,cos I look really healthy and nothing from personal appearance is showing that's something is wrong.My CD4 blood count revealed that i'm 148 which is not very pleasing.Mentally i'm trying my best to except,but emotionally i don't know what to expect.I will start with ARV'S treatment this coming thursday.My question is what can I used to boost my immune system?
Answer 863 views

01 Jan 0001

Dear Pops
You can use Echinacea or Moducare or Viral choice C, together with your antivirals - do take it regularly otherwise you are going to get a resistant form of HIV , eat healthy - lots of fresh fruit and vegetables ( Our health minister DO have a point in some of the things she advocates) , avoid colourants and preservatives ( rather eat fresh meat than polonies etc), take a good multivitamin each day ( something like Centrum is fine) . If they put you on preventative treatment for TB and lunginfections and you react ok to the antivirals, you can live a normal life. Be careful not to pass the disease on, by being responsible when it comes to sex(Always with a condom), and do not share razors or toothbrushes with anyone. Also cover up any sores or bleeding cuts etc as the virus spreads mainly via blood and sexual contact. These days HIV is manageable and not a death sentence as it was 10 years ago. Your CD4 count will probably rise again on antiviral treatment. You may need emotional support and seeing a psychologist or Aids counsellor may be useful. Tell your nearest and dearest and let them read this article: so that they can support you.
Read up about your antivirals and what side-effects you can expect so that you are informed. You get a food supplement called Sibusiso ready food ( toll free number 0800 566 786) that does make a difference in your health if you take it regularly ( not an Aids treatment - just building up your body)
The information provided does not constitute a diagnosis of your condition. You should consult a medical practitioner or other appropriate health care professional for a physical examination, diagnosis and formal advice. Health24 and the expert accept no responsibility or liability for any damage or personal harm you may suffer resulting from making use of this content.