Ask an expert

09 Mar 2003

Husband is suffering from gout and is reluctant to take medication due to side effects.
I would apreciate it if you could refer me to an excellent rheumatologist in Cape Town who has a good knowledge of how to best administer medication for the gout patient. My husband has had an operation on his ankle, where "gout crystals" were found. He now has symtoms in his toe and cannot run(Which is his passion). His GP does'nt want to rec. medication due to the side effects. I believe he needs to be controlled as he cannot run and is in constant pain. He is not overweight and follows an extrememly healthy diet, and follows all the guidelines suggested for a diet for gout sufferers . I hope it is possible for you to do this.
Answer 405 views

01 Jan 0001

Mary-ann, I don’t really know a good rheumatologist in CPT, but why don’t you just see a different GP and ask him to prescribe the treatment. I’ll try to find out for you from our people in CPT if they know a good rheumatologist and let you know. Just mail me at so that I have somewhere to send the specialist’s details. Good luck.
The information provided does not constitute a diagnosis of your condition. You should consult a medical practitioner or other appropriate health care professional for a physical examination, diagnosis and formal advice. Health24 and the expert accept no responsibility or liability for any damage or personal harm you may suffer resulting from making use of this content.