Ask an expert
Search expert health advice:
Browse by expert
- Allergy expert
- Anti-ageing expert
- Arthritis expert
- Breast cancer expert
- Cancer expert
- Oral health expert
- Diabetes expert
- EnviroHealth expert
- Family law expert
- Fertility expert
- Flu expert
- Headache expert
- Healthy Bones
- Hearing Expert
- Hypertension expert
- Incontinence Expert
- Labour lawyer
- Meditation Expert
09 Mar 2003
Husband is suffering from gout and is reluctant to take medication due to side effects.
I would apreciate it if you could refer me to an excellent rheumatologist in Cape Town who has a good knowledge of how to best administer medication for the gout patient. My husband has had an operation on his ankle, where "gout crystals" were found. He now has symtoms in his toe and cannot run(Which is his passion). His GP does'nt want to rec. medication due to the side effects. I believe he needs to be controlled as he cannot run and is in constant pain. He is not overweight and follows an extrememly healthy diet, and follows all the guidelines suggested for a diet for gout sufferers . I hope it is possible for you to do this.
Mary-ann, I don’t really know a good rheumatologist in CPT, but why don’t you just see a different GP and ask him to prescribe the treatment. I’ll try to find out for you from our people in CPT if they know a good rheumatologist and let you know. Just mail me at CyberDoc@mweb.co.za so that I have somewhere to send the specialist’s details. Good luck.
The information provided does not constitute a diagnosis of your condition. You should consult a medical practitioner or other appropriate health care professional for a physical examination, diagnosis and formal advice. Health24 and the expert accept no responsibility or liability for any damage or personal harm you may suffer resulting from making use of this content.
- Core strength: Why is it important and how do you maintain it?
- Covid-19: A potentially deadly ‘black fungus’ infection seen in patients in India
- Trying to cut down on your meat intake? Experts suggest you should just look at it
- Fighting the flu season: Two experts answer key questions about the flu shot
- Covid-19: is obesity really more of a risk factor for men than women?
- THE ESKOM FILES | Money for jam: StefStocks, Basil Read accused of fleecing millions from Kusile 'scheme'
- State alleges Nafiz Modack manages criminal enterprise
- How the EFF wants to change the Constitution
- Bruce Cameron | What you need to know about disability assurance and mental health
- Unfriendly fire: Top cop Khehla Sitole, fired Crime Intelligence boss Peter Jacobs trade blame over Kinnear murder
Have you entered our Health of the Nation survey?Please select an option Oops! Something went wrong, please try again later.
32% - 9473 votes
68% - 20305 votes