Ask an expert
Search expert health advice:
Browse by expert
- Allergy expert
- Anti-ageing expert
- Arthritis expert
- Breast cancer expert
- Cancer expert
- Oral health expert
- Diabetes expert
- EnviroHealth expert
- Family law expert
- Fertility expert
- Flu expert
- Headache expert
- Healthy Bones
- Hearing Expert
- Hypertension expert
- Incontinence Expert
- Labour lawyer
- Meditation Expert
05 May 2004
Is this Irritable Bowel Syndrome
My son has been diagnosed with IBS and has been prescribed Colofac 135mg. He has been on this medication for 3 weeks now and no improvement. I see that the symptoms are stomach cramps and bloating. He has neither but he does complain of a "bubbly" feeling in his tummy. He does not have cramps and does not bloat. He is so frustrated because he feels like going to the loo and when he gets there, his stomach does not work. I have got him to sit a little longer and it eventually works but soon after that it works again. What do you think is wrong? Nerves, diet? I am desparate!
FM, it is difficult to say without being able to examine him, but his symptoms may fit in with irritable bowel syndrome. If you mail me at CyberDoc@mweb.co.za I’ll cut and paste you something on IBS. Read it and let me know if you have more questions. Good luck.
The information provided does not constitute a diagnosis of your condition. You should consult a medical practitioner or other appropriate health care professional for a physical examination, diagnosis and formal advice. Health24 and the expert accept no responsibility or liability for any damage or personal harm you may suffer resulting from making use of this content.
- Trying to cut down on your meat intake? Experts suggest you should just look at it
- Covid-19: Do I still need to wear a mask when vaccinated, and other questions
- Core strength: Why is it important and how do you maintain it?
- Your guide to side-effects: What you can expect after a Covid-19 jab
- Some Covid-19 'long-haulers' showing signs of fatigue, mood disorders three months after infection
- Questions about stability of Covid-19 platform on Day 1 of second phase vaccinations
- THE ESKOM FILES | Coming home to roost: How big business helped fund Eskom exec’s chicken farm
- ANALYSIS | After demanding his trial start, is Zuma finally going to plead to the case against him?
- Adriaan Basson | Tata ma chance, tata ma Covid-19 vaccines
- 'He flooded Cape Flats communities with guns' - anger over former cop's release
Have you entered our Health of the Nation survey?Please select an option Oops! Something went wrong, please try again later.
32% - 9475 votes
68% - 20308 votes