Ask an expert

02 Feb 2006

ITP research
Hoping you may be able to help or point me in the right direction!
My husband was diagnosed with Idiopathic thrombocytopenia purpura 10 years ago & had a splenectomy shortly afterwards (in Zim, before we immigrated to SA in 2002)

Are there any researches / new info on ITP here in SA? There are UK & US suppot sites but surely its a known condition here in SA? Thank you.

Also - would you have any idea how I'd find our ex Haematologist (years ago) who used to practise in Zim but is apparently now in SA. (I've checked with SASHA but no luck there).

Hopeful! - Julz
Answer 402 views

01 Jan 0001

Dear Julz
What is your Haematologist's surname - maybe I can find him for you.
ITP is common in South Africa and treated by hematologists in general.
The information provided does not constitute a diagnosis of your condition. You should consult a medical practitioner or other appropriate health care professional for a physical examination, diagnosis and formal advice. Health24 and the expert accept no responsibility or liability for any damage or personal harm you may suffer resulting from making use of this content.
Voting Booth
Have you entered our Health of the Nation survey?
Please select an option Oops! Something went wrong, please try again later.
33% - 9379 votes
67% - 19431 votes