Ask an expert

15 Feb 2010

lower back ache
I have been suffering from bad lower back ache for the past 2 years, after a freak accident, which goes into my buttocks, coxic and hips then down the back of my legs. I always feel like I am sitting on a tennis ball. I sleep badly because I wake up during the night from the pain. I can' t sit for long and I can' t stand for long periods of time. When we go on a long journey I have to take all kinds of meds just to get there. I am not on a medical aid and I am too scared to operate. I have tried phisio, reflexoligy, ciroprator and just managing the pain. PLEASE HELP! What else is there to do???
Answer 390 views

01 Jan 0001

Hallo Noeline
I think you should see an orthopedic specialist as this is very suggestive of a nerve being pinched in your lower back (you may have a slipped disc) and a MRI may be needed. I think you should go to your nearest academic hospital outpatients and ask for a referral to an orthopedic surgeon. It is not a given that they will operate but it may be necessary if the nerve is being compressed to such an extent that there is danger of permanent damage.
Dr Bets
The information provided does not constitute a diagnosis of your condition. You should consult a medical practitioner or other appropriate health care professional for a physical examination, diagnosis and formal advice. Health24 and the expert accept no responsibility or liability for any damage or personal harm you may suffer resulting from making use of this content.
Voting Booth
Have you entered our Health of the Nation survey?
Please select an option Oops! Something went wrong, please try again later.
32% - 9474 votes
68% - 20305 votes