Ask an expert

27 Jan 2006

Lower back and hip concerns
Hallo Doc,

I am 42 years old. I weigh 97 kg and my lenght is 1.7m.

I walk every day and I walk much more than the ordinary person out there because I dont like driving so I walk where ever possible. Lower backpain has been a huge problem for a very long time. That pain has also now shifted to my hips and when I sit still behind my desk for a long time my whole body aches when I get up. When I move my lower body while I sit I can feel my hip bones moving and it is painful. I sound 80 years old, but other than this concern I am a very healthy person.

I realize my weight does play a big role in this and believe me I am working on that, but should I do more? Is there a bigger problem and should I go and see a doctor?

Hoping to hear from you soon.
Answer 331 views

01 Jan 0001

Dear concerned 40-plusser
Yes, I think you should have your GP look at x/rays of your hips and lower back -if that is normal, you may have developed a "trigger point" in the lower back that can be treated by a physiotherapist. YOu could also be developing osteoartritis of the hips which is a age related problem - but will be picked up on x/r.
The information provided does not constitute a diagnosis of your condition. You should consult a medical practitioner or other appropriate health care professional for a physical examination, diagnosis and formal advice. Health24 and the expert accept no responsibility or liability for any damage or personal harm you may suffer resulting from making use of this content.
Voting Booth
Have you entered our Health of the Nation survey?
Please select an option Oops! Something went wrong, please try again later.
33% - 9362 votes
67% - 19322 votes