Ask an expert

19 Jan 2006

My mom has osteoarthritis.
Many years ago she fell off a horse and the doctors are placing that incident on her arthritis, this I can understand, what I cant understand is why when every test imaginable has been done to see why she has pain in her knee and hip, she has seen every specialist imaginable, she has been on every pain killer besides morphene she has had xrays galore, she is currently in hospital and has been for the last week, they have taken blood constantly, she has had an injection into her bone marrow which they hoped would work, the last thing that they said they can now do is to place her in a machine that apparently test the metals in her body or reacts with it, I am not 100% sure on that one. This they say is their last resort, she has had cat scans, psycho therapy, cancer tests and they cannot see anything wrong with her, have you ever heard of this before. She has no medical aid so all this is being doing via government, they have pulled out all the stops and said the last machine that she will still have to go on is in Bloemfontein so she will go next week. She is a type 2 diabetic so they cant even put her under general anaesthetic to open her up to see, any more ideas on what could be done? She is in pain from morning till night and has a very uncomfortable sleep she had a mild stroke about 5 years ago and I dont know if the docs are trying in vain, is she now a lost cause.
Answer 367 views

01 Jan 0001

Dear Maggie,
Pain is one of the most difficult things to treat - as it can be from bone, nerve tissue or brain origin. It may take a while for them to work through all the systems and they should check for bone disease, nerve problems, cancer and a host of other stuff. Just be patient, they will eventually be able to give her the right thing for her pain. Sometimes anti-epileptic drugs or anti-depressant drugs together with pain medication does help for intractable pain.
If all else fails try:
Medsen pain clinic Kimberley 053 832 2822
The information provided does not constitute a diagnosis of your condition. You should consult a medical practitioner or other appropriate health care professional for a physical examination, diagnosis and formal advice. Health24 and the expert accept no responsibility or liability for any damage or personal harm you may suffer resulting from making use of this content.