Ask an expert

31 Mar 2003

Prem-Ejaculation Medication
Please help Cyberdoc! I had consulted my GP about this problem and he put me on some pills called Zoloft. I've subsequently researched this medication and discovered that it is a treatment for depression..I think, but one of the side effects is a delay in ejaculation. Am I being steered in the right direction? Is there perhaps something else that I can try that deals directly with the problem at hand?
Answer 387 views

01 Jan 0001

Rudy, there is nothing wrong with taking Zoloft® for premature ejaculation as long as it works. In the adult man, anything that causes anxiety or stress when intercourse is attempted can cause premature ejaculation. The easiest way to treat it is to increase the opportunities for ejaculation as this may decrease sexual tension. Another option is the stop-start technique with or without the squeeze technique. Basically this means you have intercourse/masturbate until you feel an orgasm coming on. You then cease all stimulation for 30 seconds. You repeat this for 3 times and then allow ejaculation. If you move to close to the “point of no return”, you squeeze the penis hard just below the glans (this will stop you from having an orgasm). With time you will learn to control your ejaculation (works in >95% of cases). In the other 5% drugs like Anafranil®, Zoloft®, etc. and psychotherapy can be tried.
There are buckets full of alternative "therapies" available ranging from the entertaining to the absurd to the down right dangerous. The important thing is that when attempting to cure premature ejaculation you make sure that it doesn't ruin making love for you and your partner. Good luck.
The information provided does not constitute a diagnosis of your condition. You should consult a medical practitioner or other appropriate health care professional for a physical examination, diagnosis and formal advice. Health24 and the expert accept no responsibility or liability for any damage or personal harm you may suffer resulting from making use of this content.