Ask an expert

13 Jan 2006

Prolapsed colon
Is it possible to rectify this condition with diet??
Answer 347 views

01 Jan 0001

Dear AM,
Is the bowel coming out of the anus? If so, it can only be rectified by operation and not by diet. Some people have long colons that look on x/ray as if it “hangs down” instead of going from R to L in a horizontal position – this is not really a prolapse and don’t need surgery but a dietician can help you to empty the colon better and prevent constipation and/or gas.
The information provided does not constitute a diagnosis of your condition. You should consult a medical practitioner or other appropriate health care professional for a physical examination, diagnosis and formal advice. Health24 and the expert accept no responsibility or liability for any damage or personal harm you may suffer resulting from making use of this content.
Voting Booth
Have you entered our Health of the Nation survey?
Please select an option Oops! Something went wrong, please try again later.
33% - 9363 votes
67% - 19334 votes