Ask an expert
Search expert health advice:
Browse by expert
- Allergy expert
- Anti-ageing expert
- Arthritis expert
- Breast cancer expert
- Cancer expert
- Oral health expert
- Diabetes expert
- EnviroHealth expert
- Family law expert
- Fertility expert
- Flu expert
- Headache expert
- Healthy Bones
- Hearing Expert
- Hypertension expert
- Incontinence Expert
- Labour lawyer
- Meditation Expert
01 May 2003
RESTLESS LEGS SYNDROME
What medication do I need to stop this? Will iron-intake put it to a stop. Please help me, I can't sleep at night and during the day it feels as if someone is pulling my legs apart? Can you help me?
Anya, the problem with restless leg syndrome is that a cause is seldom found. Treating it isn’t always easy and the treatment isn’t always successful, but the good news is that it sometimes goes away by itself. Treatment options include muscle relaxants, nerve stabilisers and even malaria medicine (quinine), but as far as I know, not iron supplementation. Quinine has been shown to work in some cases in dosages of 300mg per day, but it can have serious effects on the heart and can therefore not always be used. At the moment Sinemet 25/100®, 1 tablet at night is the drug of choice. The best thing to do would to contact your GP so that he can confirm the diagnosis and then take it from there. Good luck.
The information provided does not constitute a diagnosis of your condition. You should consult a medical practitioner or other appropriate health care professional for a physical examination, diagnosis and formal advice. Health24 and the expert accept no responsibility or liability for any damage or personal harm you may suffer resulting from making use of this content.
- Covid-19: A potentially deadly ‘black fungus’ infection seen in patients in India
- Your guide to side-effects: What you can expect after a Covid-19 jab
- Mounting evidence suggests Covid-19 vaccines do reduce transmission. How does this work?
- Long Covid: How rehabilitation programmes may be needed to get patients back on track
- Fighting the flu season: Two experts answer key questions about the flu shot
- THE ESKOM FILES | WaBenzi and a house on Jamaican Music Street: Eskom exec's charmed life
- Magashule attempt to suspend Ramaphosa: 'People from other countries were calling' - Duarte
- Atul Gupta says Home Affairs records show no legal reasons for passport denial
- Nolwandle Mthombeni | We'd be a lot better off if social issues were as important as profit
- Talks with investors will reduce Rebosis' debt levels significantly - Sisa Ngebulana
Have you entered our Health of the Nation survey?Please select an option Oops! Something went wrong, please try again later.
32% - 9471 votes
68% - 20282 votes