Ask an expert
Search expert health advice:
Browse by expert
- Allergy expert
- Anti-ageing expert
- Arthritis expert
- Breast cancer expert
- Cancer expert
- Oral health expert
- Diabetes expert
- EnviroHealth expert
- Family law expert
- Fertility expert
- Flu expert
- Headache expert
- Healthy Bones
- Hearing Expert
- Hypertension expert
- Incontinence Expert
- Labour lawyer
- Meditation Expert
07 Apr 2003
i am 23 years old and have had R.arthritis for 2 years now. unfortunately i am now starting to get the noduels on my elbows. i was wondering if stress can increase the or further activate the disease. i've been having a lot of problems at work and home and also had knee surgury 4 months ago and have gotten very stressed out. about a month ago i noticed my elbow's looked funny. no one else could really see the change but i did. i have also been getting some "numbness" or feeling like my arms aren't getting enough blood or feeling like they are asleep. anyway they have been swelling the last 2 weeks and now there is a definite change in my elbows. it was dormant there for almost a year and now it has picked up again at an accelerated rate. but just in the last 2 months when my stress factor has reached it's limit so i was wondering if there was a connection.
Barbie, I suppose that stress may negatively influence RA, but that doesn’t mean that you shouldn’t do anything about it. No matter what the cause, flare-ups should be identified early and treated aggressively. The best would be to see a rheumatologist a.s.a.p. Good luck.
The information provided does not constitute a diagnosis of your condition. You should consult a medical practitioner or other appropriate health care professional for a physical examination, diagnosis and formal advice. Health24 and the expert accept no responsibility or liability for any damage or personal harm you may suffer resulting from making use of this content.
- Why South Africa stopped making vaccines
- Cloth masks can be as effective as surgical masks against Covid-19, new study reports
- How rare is very rare? Your questions about blood clots – answered
- High doses of vitamin D have no effect on severe Covid infection - study
- Moderna’s experimental booster shot protects against variants first discovered in SA and Brazil
- THE ESKOM FILES | La bella vita: The lavish house Eskom exec Hlakudi built with 'bribes'
- 'SA's variant has more mutations' - Prof Karim not overly concerned about India variant
- 'Nothing concrete so far, let's stop' - Zondo to former Free State DG during testimony
- Karyn Maughan | Chief Justice Mogoeng's exit: How will the judiciary be impacted?
- SA's 'global influence' shown in US Covid-19 vaccine IP waiver, Ramaphosa says
Have you entered our Health of the Nation survey?Please select an option Oops! Something went wrong, please try again later.
32% - 9465 votes
68% - 20208 votes