Ask an expert

23 Jan 2006

See dr. for injured ribs?
I had a bad fall last week and my ribs on my right side are in constant pain, I cannot lie on that side, even laughing hurts. I am taking Myprodol for the pain but it only brings pemporary relief. Is this some thing that will get better by itself or should I consult my doctor.
Answer 324 views

01 Jan 0001

Hallo Karen,
You could have cracked or broken a rib with the fall. Unfortunately one can not put your chest in plaster! Unless you develop lung symptoms like coughing or bronchitis or bloody sputum, just treat it with anti-inflammatory drugs and rest - i.e. no picking up of heavy stuff, no strenuous exercises. It will take about 6 weeks to heal ( sorry....). Just don't try and bind your chest, you will get pneumonia from not using your lungs properly. A Physiotherapist could help with increasing the bloodflow and promoting healing in the area.Normally a doctor will send you for X/rays, confirm the crack/break and give you pain tablets unless you have a lung injury.
The information provided does not constitute a diagnosis of your condition. You should consult a medical practitioner or other appropriate health care professional for a physical examination, diagnosis and formal advice. Health24 and the expert accept no responsibility or liability for any damage or personal harm you may suffer resulting from making use of this content.
Voting Booth
Have you entered our Health of the Nation survey?
Please select an option Oops! Something went wrong, please try again later.
33% - 9360 votes
67% - 19295 votes