Ask an expert

07 Sep 2007

Stitch like pain
Hi Doc

I am concerned. For the last month I have been experiencing a stitch like pain under my ribs and just above my stomach. The pain is not always there and it is not unbearable, but it is uncomfortable and has not gone away. I had a fairly serious prostate infection diagnosed a few weeks back. Could this be connected to that or should I be more concerned? I am worried it could be cancer or something similar. I am 32.
Answer 383 views

01 Jan 0001

Dear Concerned

Thank you for visiting

A stitch like pain could not be connected to the prostate infection. If the pain is central to the chest, just below the breast bone, you should consider possibly having a peptic ulcer. I recommend that you consult a GP, to have these symptoms examined, in order for him/her to make the correct diagnosis.

A chest x-ray will also be of value, to exclude any pathological reason in the chest cavity, for this discomfort.

Kind regards

Dr Anrich Burger
The information provided does not constitute a diagnosis of your condition. You should consult a medical practitioner or other appropriate health care professional for a physical examination, diagnosis and formal advice. Health24 and the expert accept no responsibility or liability for any damage or personal harm you may suffer resulting from making use of this content.