Ask an expert

30 Jul 2007

Systemic Lupus (SLE)
I went to a rheumatologist because I have sore joints and was diagnosed with lupus. I'm not 100% convinced that I have lupus and would like to find a another doctor for a second opinion. I had a full blood count which seemed normal and was told that my anti-nuclear factor tested positive. I would like to know if the positive result on the anti-nuclear test is an indication of lupus. I have stopped taking my medication (prednisone and plasmaquine) but am not sure that I have done the right thing. Would it be possible to please advise what kind of doctor can give me a second opinion. Also any info on anti-nuclear factor. Thank you
Answer 350 views

01 Jan 0001

Hi Lee
You can look on under medical for another rheumatologist in your area. Ask your current doctor for copies of all your tests and tell him that you would like a second opinion - it is your right as a patient. ANF is an indication but not an absolute test for SLE . See
The information provided does not constitute a diagnosis of your condition. You should consult a medical practitioner or other appropriate health care professional for a physical examination, diagnosis and formal advice. Health24 and the expert accept no responsibility or liability for any damage or personal harm you may suffer resulting from making use of this content.
Voting Booth
Have you entered our Health of the Nation survey?
Please select an option Oops! Something went wrong, please try again later.
33% - 9369 votes
67% - 19367 votes