Ask an expert
Search expert health advice:
Browse by expert
- Allergy expert
- Anti-ageing expert
- Arthritis expert
- Breast cancer expert
- Cancer expert
- Oral health expert
- Diabetes expert
- EnviroHealth expert
- Family law expert
- Fertility expert
- Flu expert
- Headache expert
- Healthy Bones
- Hearing Expert
- Hypertension expert
- Incontinence Expert
- Labour lawyer
- Meditation Expert
01 Apr 2003
Total inability to breathe, suddenly!
My sister had a scary incident. She does have a narrowed esophagus due to a bad experience during a goiter op (an emergency tracheotomy) about 25 years wgo. She tends to chew foods very well before swallowing, and won't swallow pills unless she's crushed them. Otherwise, no problems with swallowing. A few days ago (she was alone at home) she crushed a headache tablet, drank it down, coughed lightly -- and suddenly she could not breathe. Not at all. She said she "made desperate sounds" trying to breathe through either her nose or mouth, and ... NOTHING! No air got through. It was terrifying and she thought she would die. Eventually, she said, she managed to draw in tiny breaths of air. The incident passed -- but what was it?? She does not suffer from asthma. It sounds like some kind of spasm, but now she is terrified of it happening again. Her husband is often away from home. Could you hazard a guess as to what caused it? Thanks!!!!
Anne, it’s difficult to say for sure, but it sounds like the vocal cords went into spasm. This usually what happens if a bit of water goes down the wrong tube. The only way to find out for sure would be for her to see a lung specialist so that he can take a “camera” and have a look whether the trachea is swollen or not. Good luck.
The information provided does not constitute a diagnosis of your condition. You should consult a medical practitioner or other appropriate health care professional for a physical examination, diagnosis and formal advice. Health24 and the expert accept no responsibility or liability for any damage or personal harm you may suffer resulting from making use of this content.
- Covid-19: A potentially deadly ‘black fungus’ infection seen in patients in India
- WATCH | How face masks protect you against Covid-19
- Core strength: Why is it important and how do you maintain it?
- OPINION | Pilgrimage in a pandemic: Lessons from Mecca on containing Covid-19
- WHO to restart Covid trial to test if three existing drugs can save lives of hospitalised patients
- 'It was hell' - daughter of KwaSizabantu preacher speaks out about abusive childhood
- DA up in arms over police deployment in Cape crime hotspots
- EXPLAINER | Why SAA receivership doesn't need to be solvent
- Only 27% of Western Cape residents over 60 have registered for Covid-19 vaccination
- In-form Ox Nche on looming battle with Jake White's Bulls: 'It's a clean slate'
Have you entered our Health of the Nation survey?Please select an option Oops! Something went wrong, please try again later.
32% - 9472 votes
68% - 20292 votes