Ask an expert

10 Oct 2011

Urgently need help
Hello Dr,

I hope that you can assist me. I have been struggling now for about a year, I had a kidney stone and after that, I seem to get severe joint pain and swelling. It affects my feet, ankles, Knees, wrists and other various places. The area will become swollen, red, hot and if in the foot area will also become itchy. The pain is excruciating and i become totally incapacitated. If it affects my wrists or knees then it swells and becomes hot to the touch and also very painful. Sometimes if I touch the bone in that area it will hurt and other times it feels as though it is so deep in the leg that it doesn''t hurt to touch, only with movement. These attacks generally last 24-48 hours then moves to another location on the body. I have been to Gp''s, and to other docs and no one can seem to assist me, they don''t seem to have a clue as to what it may even be. I have done all sorts of blood works and they have ruled out rheumatism, Arthritis, Gout and all other different types of conditions. They even did blood works for auto immune deficiency and it all came back normal. I limo almost on a daily basis and am always in debilitating pain, have even been rushed to casualty in the past, where I was given a Pethadine injection and then sent home. They have found that I have very high levels of uric acid in my urine, but not in my blood.

Please could you advise what you think this could be as it is very frustrating as I am only 27 years old and feel as though I am in my seventies. What type of doc would you recommend I see? Someone has suggested that it might be a neurological problem.

I look forward to your response in this matter.

Thank you
Answer 281 views

01 Jan 0001

I suggest that you consult a rheumatologist. It sounds like you have been screened for a couple of conditions with no resolve. If the rheumatologist is not of any assistance, I suggest that you consult a neurologist. Ask your doctor for a prescription for Trepiline to assist in controlling your pain.

Feedback will be appreciated.


Dr Anrich
The information provided does not constitute a diagnosis of your condition. You should consult a medical practitioner or other appropriate health care professional for a physical examination, diagnosis and formal advice. Health24 and the expert accept no responsibility or liability for any damage or personal harm you may suffer resulting from making use of this content.