Ask an expert

21 Jul 2011

weight - endocrinologist
Pls help me. I suffer with insulin resistance and PCOS. I am constantly on diet and seem to get nowhere. I have been to a very well known dietitian who has written several books on Syndrome X, After a year with her I was exactly the same weight as I had started. I went to a GP who prescribed Glucophage and once a week I had vitamin B injections to help. I have been on every diet, Sureslim, Weighless, Atkins, etc. I am approx 20kgs overweight and I don''t exercise as much as I should, but surely with all the effort that I put in I should be able to lose some weight! am at my wits end. Do I just come to terms with this horrible battle or would an Endocrinologist be the right route for me to go? And if so how do I find one in Jhb that specialises in weight lossn pcos and insulin resistance?
Thanks for your advise.
Answer 1,126 views

01 Jan 0001

It will be an excellent idea to consult an endocrinologist, as they specialise in hormonal abnormalities, which could be the possible cause for your inability to loose weight. Contact your nearest hospital for the details of an endocrinologist in your area.

Please remember that exercise will burn excess calories. Try a rigorous exercise regime.


Dr Anrich
The information provided does not constitute a diagnosis of your condition. You should consult a medical practitioner or other appropriate health care professional for a physical examination, diagnosis and formal advice. Health24 and the expert accept no responsibility or liability for any damage or personal harm you may suffer resulting from making use of this content.
Voting Booth
Have you entered our Health of the Nation survey?
Please select an option Oops! Something went wrong, please try again later.
32% - 9425 votes
68% - 19880 votes