Ask an expert

09 Oct 2008

Please help - I' m so depressed. Have been through a lot this year.
I took my grandaughter to the doc on Monday after work and thereafter to have abite to eat. As it was getting late I decided to bath her at my place before taking her home. (It' s my sons child - but he and child' s mother split up a year ago.) To cut a long story short her mother (the other granny) left a message on my phone quote" when are you bringing her home it' s getting late or do you want me to fethc her with the cops. I still cannot get over this msg. I do everything for that child. She lives in filthy home, with a mother that messes around with gangster type people and allegedly has a boyfriend in prison, who not to long ago kicked the front door and my grandchild keeps pointing it out to me. There could possibly be drugs involved as she is always borrowing money. The other granny' s ex husband also lives there and seems to have a drinking problem. I need advice how to approach this problem as I don' t know why she spoke to me like that. When I asked her where the childs mother was she replied that she' s up the road. It was then alrady 9pm. THe other granny also has a 9 yr old who at 9pm was still running around in her school clothes. She can' t look after her own children so how on earth can she see to the grandchild. Should I get the welfare to investigate. I worry about the well being of that liltle girl. She sees and hears too much abuse for a 3 yr old.

Woulld appreciate your comments on how I should handle this and if it is out of my control I I can come to gtips with that as well.

Thank you so much.

Concerned grandmother.
Answer 382 views

01 Jan 0001

It certainly sounds like a needlessly hostile response from her. The situation doesn't sound encouraging ; but i's up to your judgement to decide whether to ask child welfare to look into the situation of these two kids. It might be a good idea, s one would rather be sure they are safe than sorry one didn't intervene, if something goes more seriously wrong
The information provided does not constitute a diagnosis of your condition. You should consult a medical practitioner or other appropriate health care professional for a physical examination, diagnosis and formal advice. Health24 and the expert accept no responsibility or liability for any damage or personal harm you may suffer resulting from making use of this content.
Voting Booth
Have you entered our Health of the Nation survey?
Please select an option Oops! Something went wrong, please try again later.
32% - 9438 votes
68% - 20008 votes