Ask an expert
Question

20 Sep 2007

ADD
Hi,

'Ritalin is effective in 80% of real ADHD cases... .. In the other 20% of cases medication like Tofranil, Catapres, Aurorix or Petrofan work well. The right medication can improve a child’s problem by 80%. '

Is Ritalin the best option for adults? I've heard it has serious long term side effects. What can you tell me about the other mentioned medications?
Answer 383 views
Expert
CyberShrink
cybershrink

01 Jan 0001

There has been a lot less ood quality research on treating ADD in adults. But all of the meds mentioned in the piece you found have a history of having been used, for various purposes, for years on end, without inducing sinister problems. But you still, of course, need to get a good assessment from a good local shrink, and discuss all treatment options in full with him / her
The information provided does not constitute a diagnosis of your condition. You should consult a medical practitioner or other appropriate health care professional for a physical examination, diagnosis and formal advice. Health24 and the expert accept no responsibility or liability for any damage or personal harm you may suffer resulting from making use of this content.
Voting Booth
Have you entered our Health of the Nation survey?
Please select an option Oops! Something went wrong, please try again later.
Results
Yes
33% - 9361 votes
No
67% - 19296 votes
Vote