Ask an expert

30 Oct 2006

Anger management
How do I go about finding a therapist/psychologist who could help me control my anger? This is something that only seems to have developed since my divorce and is affecting my new marriage - so I really am quite desperate to find help.
I at first put it down to all the stress related to the changes in my life - but I think that excuse is now dated and I really DO have a problem. HELP, I sometimes feel as though I have having a stroke - or at the very least going to lose the top half of my head....and all this due to not being able to control myself.
Answer 408 views

01 Jan 0001

Any competent psychologist ought to be able to help you with this. I prefer a realistic, down-to-earth CBT (COgnitive-Behaviour Therapy ) approach. Realise that few shrinks specialize entirely in one sub-field like Anger Management ( and I'd be a bit suspicious if one did ) --- (a) there are unlikely to be enough people needing that specific form of help to keep them busy, and (b) it gets terri bly boring dealing with the same basic problem all day every day.
The information provided does not constitute a diagnosis of your condition. You should consult a medical practitioner or other appropriate health care professional for a physical examination, diagnosis and formal advice. Health24 and the expert accept no responsibility or liability for any damage or personal harm you may suffer resulting from making use of this content.