Ask an expert

21 Jan 2006

aspergers syndrome
i have posted my question on "children wtih special needs" as well, but my question is for Cybershrink, I am a parent of 2 boys whom i suspect has apsergers syndrome. But i think as an adult i can identify with a lot of the symptons in myself as well. especially socially. My youngest brother is autistic. Is it genetic. As a parent i would like some advise on how to handle my children with aspergers syndrome and any advise from anybody out there would be appreciated. Are there people out there who specialise in this condition?
Answer 267 views

01 Jan 0001

As with many psychiatric disorders, there is a degree of inheritance, of a higher vulnerability, a higher risk of developing a condition, related to how many relatives ( and how close they are to you ) have the condition or those similar to it. Most are not "genetic" in the sense that there is direct and inevitable inheritance, like Haemophilia. And sometimes, near relatives who do not deveop a specific condition, may show mild anomalies that are similar to it. I'm not aware of anyone who specializes in Aspergers as such, apart from a Dr Holford who was associated with Wits medical School, but apart from her, any good child psychiatrist ought to be able to help. You need to see a good specialist, if there is any good reason to consider that such a condition might be present, for a proper assessment and diagnosis. and then, as the condition can vary in severity and in the particular needs of the individual who has it, to discuss management plans with the person who made the diagnosis.
The information provided does not constitute a diagnosis of your condition. You should consult a medical practitioner or other appropriate health care professional for a physical examination, diagnosis and formal advice. Health24 and the expert accept no responsibility or liability for any damage or personal harm you may suffer resulting from making use of this content.