Ask an expert

15 Jun 2004

Ek bedryf 'n dieetkliniek - 'n bulimie lyer wil nou by my aansluit,
sy is matig oorgewig. Kan u my bedien met raad om haar korrek te help asb.
Answer 1,742 views

01 Jan 0001

Engela, dealing properly with an Eating Disorder like Bulimia is very difficult even for fully trained psychiatrists, and such patients can be very manipulative and deceptive, too. So, congratulations on recognizing that you would almost certainly be out of your depth in trying to deal with this sort of problem --- what she needs isn't a diet program, but psychological assistance and a full programme worked out by a specalist, so if I were you, I'd refer her to an Eating Disorders clinic at one of the medical schools, or to a private psychiatrist with a special interest in such disorders, and explain that what she needs is beyond the capacity of a diet clinic to handle. If she had appendicitos, it wouldn't be wise to ask a surgeon to talk you through the necessary operation, but you'd send her to the surgeon --- the same applies here.
The information provided does not constitute a diagnosis of your condition. You should consult a medical practitioner or other appropriate health care professional for a physical examination, diagnosis and formal advice. Health24 and the expert accept no responsibility or liability for any damage or personal harm you may suffer resulting from making use of this content.