Ask an expert

12 Mar 2003

Depressed - continued
Doc - I asked you the other day whether I had depression or not and you said one must differentiate between just feeling blue and clinical depression. I cannot seem to figure out for myself what is wrong and was wondering what I can do to find out. Does one see a GP or does one go directly to a psychologist? I am worried that if I dont sort things out soon that it may start to affect my family life, which is the only thing going for me at present. I cant seem to shake the feelings of anger and utter helplessness. Please help.
Answer 380 views

01 Jan 0001

Dear Bob,
GPs are variable, both in the extent to which they are interested in psychological matters, and the extent to which they have been trained to handle them well ; psychologists and psychiatrists have been trained to do both. Maybe you can see your GP, and discuss your concern that you could well be becoming notably depressed, and with issues of anger and helplessness. He/she could perhaps help with an initial assessment, and consider whether medication might help this ; and could also arrange for a referral to a shrink for a further assessment and further advice and assistance. Your degree of concern about the state you find yourself in, suggests that this would be a god idea, rather than continuing to wait, in growing alarm, to see if things get worse. I am confident that you can be helped most effectively.
The information provided does not constitute a diagnosis of your condition. You should consult a medical practitioner or other appropriate health care professional for a physical examination, diagnosis and formal advice. Health24 and the expert accept no responsibility or liability for any damage or personal harm you may suffer resulting from making use of this content.