Ask an expert

11 Jul 2011

My wife began using this drug in jan she was not overweight,but has now become extremely thin,she denies the use even though I have found packets in her posession,she is 49 we have been married for 28 yrs and have been through a lot ,irelationship has now deteriorated to the extent that we have seperated ,I think that this drug has changed her completely,I dont know how to begin solving the problem because she denies using it.No one believes me.Pls advise
Answer 364 views

01 Jan 0001

I don't know why nobody believes you, as addiction to and dependency on, various diet aid drugs can and does occur, and should be recognized. Whoever has been prescribing the Duromine to her could be guilty of malpractice, ( and might thus be motivated to deny that there is any problem ) as any doctor prescribing such drugs should be aware that they have this risk, and should very closely monitor the patient's use of such drugs.
Unless she has found a way to illegally buy the drug without prescription ( and somewhere along the line there may be several criminal activities involved in providing it in this way ) she must be getting it on prescription from some doctor or doctors. Sometimes determined patients dependent on a drug go to a number of different doctors, lying to all of them so they all think they are the only person writing the prescriptions.
I understand your concerns, but I'm not sure what status you have in the matter. If you are divorced, then possibly not much ; if you are still married, and there is a good GP involved who knows here, maybe there is something to be done, but this would need to be discussed with the doctor who knows her. If she has become extremely thin, and perhaps is hardly eating due to over-use of the drug, it could be argued that her behaviour is a risk to her own life, and there could be grounds for compulsory medical intervention.
If she is getting the drug through illegal means, there could be criminal aspects to the situation and the police might be intereted. ( Or, in my personal experience, they might not bother to get interested or help).
The information provided does not constitute a diagnosis of your condition. You should consult a medical practitioner or other appropriate health care professional for a physical examination, diagnosis and formal advice. Health24 and the expert accept no responsibility or liability for any damage or personal harm you may suffer resulting from making use of this content.