Ask an expert

14 Apr 2003

ex not paying maintenance; desperate for advise
We were divorced 27/08/02 upon which the Court decided he shall pay Rx in maintenance fees.Ever since then he's not paid one cent.The Maintenance court I'm afraid has not been giving much of assistance and my file is always lost or misplaced.The staff (I'm sorry to say), are not very helpful.I've phoned him on numerous occations but it's useless.Furthermore he's not been to visit his son once.He didn't even phone on his birthday!He's a bloody prick and I don't want the bastard to get away with his lies and deceipt like he's always done.What Can Be Done?!
Answer 408 views

01 Jan 0001

Dear lady,
Of course this is really a legal, rather than a psych question. It's sad, but in my experience, like yours, the entire legal and especally the Court system in this country remains a shambles, and losing of files and documents seems to be the main skill of some of the odd folks who work within it. Your problem ought to be a simple one. The court ordered him to pay maintenance --- and by not doing so, he is in contempt of court and could be sent to jail for this. If the Court officials, and the Family Advocate ( a relatively newer function that ought to help ) cant or wont help, try getting a legal opinion, perhaps checking with the Law Society if they still run their scheme which offered an initial free 30 minute consultation with a lawyer ; or checking out what;s available from a free law clinic, such as those run by the Law Faculty of most major universities. it probably only needs a lawyer to get the court to notice that this lowlife is in contempt of court, and request a court order to be enforced, to compel him to pay what he owes, both in back payments, and to continue regular payments on pain of arrest if he does not do so.
As to whether he visits or shows caring towards his son ; well, that can't be compelled ( and if he needs compelling to love his child, his love is worthless anyway).
The information provided does not constitute a diagnosis of your condition. You should consult a medical practitioner or other appropriate health care professional for a physical examination, diagnosis and formal advice. Health24 and the expert accept no responsibility or liability for any damage or personal harm you may suffer resulting from making use of this content.
Voting Booth
Have you entered our Health of the Nation survey?
Please select an option Oops! Something went wrong, please try again later.
32% - 9472 votes
68% - 20291 votes